I work in Bondi Junction and Caringbah.
I’m a country girl from Wagga Wagga….‘The Wagga Effect’ didn’t quite lead to a professional sporting career, but certainly did lead to my passion for sport.
During my time as an athlete (800 and 1500m athletics), I would look up to whoever helped me try and achieve my full potential; especially physiotherapists. This ultimately led me to pursue a career in physiotherapy.
My delightful children – Daisy (4) and Freddie (1) keep me busy – and I juggle my time between my family, keeping fit, going to the beach – as I now live in the Shire!
What makes me different:
I’ve had the privilege of being able to work with elite sporting teams in both London and Sydney…..and so have worked on everything and anything, both on and off the field.
I have always had a particular interest in the lower back and pelvis, and also in strength and conditioning (stemming from my sporting background).
Essentially, I love assessing the whole body; connecting injuries and stories from the person’s past to their current symptoms and figuring out why the problem is there in the first place!
More recently since having my children, I have realised just how important it is to know everything about the pelvis…..both inside and out (and of course about the pelvic floor!). I am grateful to be able to use my musculoskeletal background to pair up with my Women’s Health knowledge to treat a range of specific women’s health problems as well.
I am passionate about educating women about their bodies during pregnancy and in the post-natal period, and ensuring they reach their exercise goals…..safely! I also have a keen interest in pelvic pain and connecting pathology with internal and external symptoms.
What I have learnt:
- Bachelor of Science (Exercise Science and Nutrition) at The University of Wollongong 2005
- Master of Physiotherapy at The University of Sydney 2007
- Dr LJ Lee, The Sports Thorax – Connect the whole body to optimise performance with the Thoracic Ring Approach.
- LJ Lee, The Sports Pelvis and Hip
- Lyn Watson, Level 1 Shoulder Course
- Dry Needling, Level 1 with GEMt
- Clinical Yoga for Physiotherapists
- Level 1 Sports Taping
Women’s Health and Continence:
- Introductory to Women’s Health – Taryn Hallam WHTA
- Advanced Stress Urinary Incontinence and Pelvic Organ Prolapse – Taryn Hallam
- Advanced Pelvic Floor – Exercise Sport and Musculoskeletal Dysfunction – Taryn Hallam
- Pelvic organ prolapse & Gellhorn workshop – Taryn Hallam
- Advanced lactating breast workshop with Melinda Cooper
- Pelvic Skills workshop with Prof Hans Peter Deitz
- Pelvic pain – Taryn Hallam (Feb 2020)
My Fun Fact:
I learnt to water ski when I was 4